Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Costa Rica - Yoga and Zip Lining






The sunrises early in Costa Rica, 530am. So do the birds. What a sweet sound to wake up to. Our first yoga class of the day is at 630am. Such a great way to wake your body for the adventures of the day. This morning the hour long yoga class stretched into two. That's the way it is here in Costa Rica. If it feels good, keep doing it. The instructors are so knowledgeable and patient. Each person gets the attention they need and everyone comes away feeling great.
Breakfast is a wonderful feast of fresh fruits, farm fresh eggs, juices, beans and rice, fabulous coffee and much more. Delicious. Everything is organic and grown locally. Costa Rican coffee is primo!
After breakfast we are off to the rainforest for a zip line ride through the trees. The excitement on the bus is mixed and the chatter constant. Some of us have done this before and others are going to experience it for the first time. I am one of those and my nervousness and doubt is showing. My fellow adventurers remind me to tap into my yoga and centre myself so I can conquer my fear. Yoga is a great practice which provides us with the tools to move through the unknown.
We arrive at the Monte de Barva facility located in the Braulio Carillo National park. Located about 45 minutes from San Jose and 7000 feet above sea level. The air is cool, clear and crisp. Our guides are very knowledegable and immediately make us feel safe and secure as they slip us into our harnesses and pass out gloves and helmets. We begin with an orientation and lesson then follow the winding path through the rainforest to the first platform. During our walk the lead guide tells us about the cyprus forest we are in and points out many species of plants and trees.
Here we are, all 9 of us perched on a platform above the floor of the rainforest. I am a little anxious and watch intently as they prepare the first person for their leap off the safety of the platform. Off he goes, smiling and excited. It looks easy and he makes it safely to the other side. I'm ready. The first line is an easy one so now I'm ready for more. We gradually make our way through the 11 lines. Some fast and some slow. Each one offering a different view of the forest and some longer or higher than the others and some slow or fast. Now that I have settled in to my new sport I look forward to the fast long lines. What a thrill. Who would have thought that at my age I would be zipping through a rainforest. Life is great! Some lines end up on a lower level and we walk through the forest admiring it's majestic beauty. Costa Rica is certainly a magical place to visit.
This afternoon we enjoyed another scrumptious lunch and relax by the pool.
Tomorrow we are off to the forest for a hike to the hot springs. Ah, how relaxing. Just what my tired body needs. Stay tuned for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment