Sunday, February 2, 2014

French Polynesia Cruise - Annie's day in paradise.

Annie's Day in Paradise: 

Today had to be one of the most amazing days of my life. I took a Lagoon Cruise & Polynesian Feast Tour.
We had 3 snorkel stops - the first one with the sharks. As we stopped the boat we were surrounded by black tip sharks. We watched them for a few minutes them i dove in amongst them. They feed at night so we were hoping they had full bellies. There were more than 20 and they swam amongst us. I tried to get a full on frontal photo but they avoided me. Unbelievable experience.

 Second stop was the Sting Rays. They must be a different species than those in Antiqua because they would let us feed them. The reason was that the suction was to hard they could hurt us if we didn't know what we were doing. As the guides fed the rays, the sharks came in to feed too so we had both sharks and rays all around us.
The third stop was the Coral Garden. It was like dropping into an acquarium. So many species of fish and hundreds of them in schools. My guide gave me several things to touch and hold - sea cucumber, see urchin and a puffed up star fish. So much fun!






 Then we went to a private island where they cooked us lunch in the traditional Polynesian way - earth oven. Roast suckling pig, taro, breadfruit, plantain, poi (made w/ bananas) and on the gril were 3 types of fish - lagoon fish (like catfish), tuna and mahi mahi. It was served to us on palm leaf plates, our teeth being our knife and our fingers our fork.
One couple in our group was from Paris, France and shared a bottle of Champagne with us. So we ate our feast at a table in the water, under an umbrella, sipping champagne with hundreds of small fish to help us clean our fingers and eat our scraps

This place is a paradise, and that is an understatement! I hope to come back here again some day but just in case I don't I am filling each day with a new adventure and loving every minute of it.
I would love to share my underwater photos, but for some reason I can't download them on the iPad. Here are just a few -
Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment